Mental Illness Symptoms and Causes
Mental illness is a medical condition that interferes with daily functioning; academics, jobs, social and living. It is brought on by a chemical imbalance in the individual’s brain. When this condition is left untreated it gets worse and more difficult to treat.
Some common symptoms have been identified as:
- Prolonged Sadness or Irritability
- Experiencing extreme Highs and Lows
- Hearing, Seeing, Tasting things that no one else does
- Suspiciousness or extreme Uneasiness around others
- Strong or Inappropriate Emotions or no Emotions at all
- Dramatic changes in Eating or Sleeping patterns
- A sudden decline in Hygiene
- Strong feelings of Anger
If these signs look or sound familiar the first thing you need to do is contact a healthcare professional. Remember mental illness can affect anyone, age, race, gender, income and religion have no role in who is diagnosed and impacted.
NAMI Atlanta / Auburn can be a place to come join and receive free support and education. Here you will be around others that understand what you are going through.